The military match for residency was announced on December 16th. Eric applied for an Orthopedic residency and we assumed we would most likely be going to San Antonio, TX for the next 5 years starting in June 2010. We were totally surprised to find out he received a civilian sponsored spot which means he can apply and interview at any civilian training hospital of his choice and the military still pays for it. We had talked about the possibility before and where we would try to go if it happened but Eric had pretty much told me this was about a 15% chance so I was already planning the move to TX. I like to know things in percentages so I don't get my hopes up and so I can plan ahead. :) This was the best Christmas present I got this year knowing that we would try to move closer to the MD/DC/VA area....which is closer to my family. We both love the DC area and thought it might be a while before the military would send us back that way so it was just very exciting news. We also like the Raleigh/Durham area so would be happy to move there as well. Two of my best friends live there so it would be great to be able to live in the same town for a while.
Eric has contacted 10 hospitals on the east coast from Baltimore to Raleigh. So far he has heard back from 6 of them and has interest from 5 (Richmond, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, University of MD and Union Memorial). Hopefully he will receive interviews from most of them. We hope to find out where he will be going in the coming months and then begin a home search asap. We will keep you posted as things progress!
3 comments:
Congratulations! We were excited to hear that Eric matched in Ortho but bummed that you won't be our neighbors in SA! :( Are you sure you don't want to include UT in with your applications to Johns Hopkins and Georgetown? ;)
That is awesome. We are so glad that Eric matched in Ortho. We, also, will be bummed that you won't be in San Antonio. But we love North Carolina a ton. Can't wait to hear where you'll be.
yay!! what an answered prayer. I will have to say we are super excited to hear you will be back on the east coast and not headed to Texas. We found out on the same day as you guys that Rolf matched for cardiology fellowship at Bethesda so we will be headed back their in June. It would be so fun for the boys to be close enough to have playgroup and I would have to say I would be super excited to have such a cool mommy friend close by! So we will be pulling for Hopkins or Georgetown but Raleigh wouldn't be bad either.
Post a Comment