Vaillant Family Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Adventures in Japan - six (raku)

Besides visiting Disney, January was a pretty low key month.  The winter has been mild so the boys enjoy being outside as much as possible.  With Lincoln being sick over the winter break we got in the habit of taking walks on the flightline to get us both out of the house.  Sometimes Hayden joined us on his bike.  I think Hayden enjoys life here the most.  He is loving how much freedom he has to play outside, is playing a different sport each season, taking swim lessons, and he gets to see daddy every night and weekend.  Having Eric around more is probably the biggest positive of life here for me too.  :) 

Out for a ride!  The boys love it when we can see Mount Fuji on the flight line.
My name is Hayden.  I love sports!  My brother is Lincoln.  I love Japan.  It is a lot of fun!  We play a lot.  I have a lot of friends.  And I have been to Tokyo.  It is Fun!  Hayden  There are plenty of things we could complain about living here but I try to post the positive's.  I found this note in Hayden's notebook and had to snap a photo to look back on when I need a pick me up and a smile.
Eric and I enjoyed a date night in Tokyo where we visited a brewery and did some shopping.  We are getting more comfortable with the trains here.  I am not quite ready to go it alone but I could probably manage my way home if I ever needed to....maybe.
Sampling beers at Baird Brewery
Photo Opp with Hello Kitty
My culture group met twice in January.  The Japanese ladies hosted a New Year's lunch for us on base where we got to see some traditional performances and eat some yummy Japanese food. 
Group photo with the performers
Hayden is still trying new foods and has a new favorite...Ramen!  This is good because you can pretty much find it anywhere in Japan.
We took him out to lunch one day when Lincoln had school and he did not.
Daddy and Hayden enjoying lunch together
I was also able to experience a kimono dressing and traditional tea service with my culture group.  The Japanese ladies worked hard to get us all fitted into our kimonos.
First layer, a beautiful robe
Tying me in
Lost in fabric
This is a two person job.  Its getting hard to breathe!
Beautiful Kimono
Angie San
The back Obi was also beautiful
Time for the tea service.  They are showing me how to get down while in kimono.  Its not as easy as you would think.
Sitting like this becomes painful fast.  Then you just go numb and hope you can stand without falling.
One of the Japanese ladies in our group dressed in Kimono and led the tea ceremony
They gave us a candy treat to start then explained how to hold the bowl, rotate the bowl, drink from the bowl, and then clean the bowl.  We said "thank you tea" at the end.  You were also supposed to drink the tea in 3 sips and finish with a large slurp.  I did my best.
Group photo.  An experience I will always remember.
 One weekend Eric took the boys to a local fishing spot.  This place is great because they clean and cook the fish for you right there.  To fish for trout in Japan they use corn as bait.
Hoping for a bite
First fish caught in Japan
This spiderman fishing pole is always the best catcher
Linc got one!
9 fish total!
Cleaned and cooking
Linc sampling the fish
Hayden too!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Love your blog and all of your posts!! Miss you every day!! 😘😘❤️💕